Re: Surface area increase with sanding 41.4%

Subject: Re: Surface area increase with sanding 41.4%
From: McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:14:57
Your useful tests confirm the theory.

Otherwise, although the water test is common, I'd be reluctant to use it
other than for developing a cleaning procedure. This is because the
presence of even small amounts of atmospheric moisture have a significant
effect on epoxy bond strengths; reduction of atmospheric humidity at the
time of bonding results in proportionate increases in bond strength, down
to an RH of 5 to 10 % where the benefit flattens off. So if the water used
in the water test is not fully dried off (hairdryer?) it will result in
reduced bond strength.

I don't think we should get too paranoid about this because Europa have
allowed generously in their design. They may correct me if I'm wrong, but
the design-allowable bond strength (500psi) is about 25% of the maximum
that can be achieved with these materials.

Duncan McF.

On Saturday, October 26, 2002 3:17 AM, Fergus Kyle [SMTP:VE3LVO@rac.ca]
wrote:
> Cheers,
>             On the subject of sanding and 'substrate' I think we have to
> consider hwat type of surface we're discussing. I've been scuffing old
> epoxy-glass layers, fuselage new outer surfaces, long-open peelply and
> alumin(i)um flats at various times. I started with sixty, but soon
> discovered I was ripping and tearing. then I read somewhere that Boeing
says
> "if water will stay on it, it's ready for sticking" - or words to that
> effect.
>             Since then I've treated several different tests surfaces (as
> above) with a number of different grades of abraders and frankly I found
the
> BiD that sticks the best is to ANY of the surfaces that have been treated
> within the hour to a palm-sander from 120 to 320 grit, smeared very
lightly
> with epoxy compound and applied with pressure, but not a lot (weights).
The

<forum@europaclub.org.uk>