Re: Rotax 914 Dieseling

Subject: Re: Rotax 914 Dieseling
From: Alexander P. de C. Kaarsberg <kaarsber@terra.com.br>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:26:09
Garry,

Here in Brazil most owners use Avgas, as Mogas here contains some 25%
alcohol and is not recommended for the Rotax.
(But some owners still prefer to use Mogas due to the price and the
lower content of lead.)
This means that they have to replace the oil at a higher frequency than
otherwise to avoid build-up of lead and still have to remove a lot of
lead deposits, perhaps this is the same problem as yours?
Another point where many go wrong is when checking the ground for the
magneto, when turning the magswitch to off, there must be continuity
---From the primary coil to ground through the switch to keep the spark
current from being generated in the secondary coil.
I may well be pointing out the obvious, just to be sure to be sure...

Alex, kit 529.

STOUT, GARRY V, CSFF2 wrote:

>Just recently, after 220 hours of operation, my Rotax 914 began "dieseling"
>after
shut down.  Never happened before, but now does it every time.  I know that
dieseling is caused by a "hot spot" somewhere in the combustion chambers, but
where and why escapes me.  I've pulled the spark plugs and aside from having
some gray lead deposits on them, they look fine.  I plan to replace the plugs,
but doubt that they are the cause.  Interestingly, the dieseling doesn't require
a really hot engine.  A few days ago I started the engine and taxied 100
yards to the fuel pumps.  At shut down the engine dieseled.........and we know
the engine hadn't yet even warmed up.  I've checked the mag grounding
connections,
and they work fine.  It is definitely a dieseling condition.  Anyone out
there experienced this and what conclusions did you reach?