Re: Tail Plane Torque Tube Drive pins/Wear

Subject: Re: Tail Plane Torque Tube Drive pins/Wear
From: Neville Eyre <Neville@europaaircraft.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:34:24
EXTRA EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT THE TAILPLANE TORQUE TUBE DRIVE PIN WEAR PROBLEM !!!
It really bugs me when people ''INVENT'' problems, and then via the forum, set
themselves a nice little sideline in ''improvements''
There are many Europa's out there with several hundred hours on them with NO
play
in the pins.
The way play is introduced is the overenthusiastic use of large hammers during
the initial build, or drilling out the nylon collars in situ, which allows
relative
movement of the torque tube components, which will eventually lead to increased
wear. If you don't screw it up in the first place, it will last for a
very long time. Allowing the mass balance arm to bounce on the stop when
taxiing,
or trailing the aircraft in a trailer with too stiff a suspension may shorten
the expected life. We have noted, that of the very few aircraft that have
needed attention to this area, only one had to be done twice in 100 hours.
Here at Europa, we have increased the size of the drive pins, in the main to
calm
fears among the builders, from this scaremongering, as in most things, bigger
is better !
If you should develop wear in service, the whole assembly can be out and on the
bench in 1 1/2 hours [ I can still get in the rear fuselage, I weigh 200lbs +
].
You will have perhaps a couple of hours on the bench drill, enlarging to the
next
oversize, and then 2 1/2 hours to get everything back in place.
Certainly no need for the ''improoved clamping'' system.
Spend the money on a new dress for the wife, it will be better value.
Cheers,
Nev.
>>> "R.C.Harrison" <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk> 10/18/02 09:34am >>>
Hi! Fred and All.
Great statistical info! However you recognise that a "new" design such as a
Europa will have it's own statistical "bias" much earlier in the order of
chance. I'm particularly thinking of the Tail Plane Torque Tube Drive Pin
Wear problem (since I have been so closely involved) . It for sure has no
letter "F's" in it unless you include the ultimate effect ......."FLAPPING"
! FURTHER IT WILL BE ON THE "FRET" long before 4000 hours unless you've done
something to counter the problem! As to who will be the first guy who
experiences it ..... I am aquainted with a number who will be insulated from
the problem with their own favourable tweek on the "chance factor" . Thanks
for your orders chaps!
Regards and flying safely !(on the mechanical factor at least!)

Bob Harrison G-PTAG