Re: Angle of Attack indicators (and stalls)

Subject: Re: Angle of Attack indicators (and stalls)
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:53:36

>> Should we interpret the specific references to the Classic to mean
that the XS wing has different stall characteristice, or are you just
being careful to limit your comments to your particular experience?

I have not done any deep stall exploration on an XS wing (yet). The
stalls on the XS aircraft I have flown seem to have the same approach
characteristics as the classic but how it breaks, I don't know.

As a personal opinion, unless you are operating out of a very tight
strip I'd probably add stall strips anyway to give a bit of safety
buffer. Sure you'll raise the flare out speed a bit but I think that
it's worth it.

With the stall strips fitted on ZK-UBD I can hold it in the air at 39
knots on the prop and still kick it round in a 360 turn with the rudder
.... but don't try this at home (or at low altitude!).

The NZ test flying program requires the stall to be investigated at
different CofG locations across a wide range of bank angles. It's
actually very interesting running through the stall test programme as
you end up being quite confident as to how that particular plane is
going to behave when pushed to the edge of its envelope - rather than
just believing a figure that was published for a prototype.

Regards

Tony