Re: Mini U2

Subject: Re: Mini U2
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:09:41
In a message dated 9/24/2002 9:52:34 AM Pacific Standard Time, wilmac@gte.net
writes:

> Does the Mini U2 refer to the long wings and is that what you are building.
> I am curious for your thoughts on building the long wing version (if you
> are) and using it as a motor glider.  I own a Standard class glider and
> haven't seen much of the Europa glider stats (other than the 27 to 1 glide
> ratio) but if the intent is to soar, there are many hinderances and
> compromises, i.e., the big ol' prop sticking out there and the maneuvering
> of those long wings on the ground in tight places.  I certainly enjoy
> soaring and would like to hear positives of the long wings.  I believe that
> high altitude flight would be augmented with the long wings assuming a
> turbo'ed engine.  I have seen some recent postings regarding the L/D of the
> Europa not really being the 17 to 1 suggested in the Europa stats.  How do
> you see all this.

I have a lot of flight experience and am currently in an FAA medical fiasco.
That is the primary reason to build the glider version, as in the US it is
legal to fly without a medical. Having said that, I also have been spoiled by
flying multi engine airplanes and high performance multi engine airplanes as
well. I live in the area of the country where soaring conditions are
excellent (Minden, Nevada) and it also has a lot of high terrain. I am
looking at this airplane as having 2 "power" sources. One is the turbo 914
engine and the other is the high aspect ratio wing. In this airplane, should
the engine fail, you have more options for forced landings due to the glide
ratio. It also has low stalling speeds and a gear configuration that is
better for off field landings (mono). IT is slower and significantly slower
in indicated maximum speed (127 knots vs 165 knots). Where this airplane will
be in its element will be flying at high altitudes - and I am speaking of the
range of 15 to 18,000 feet. At those altitudes with the turbo engine, the
airplane will have very respectable cruise true airspeed. The high aspect
ratio will enable it to climb well to those altitudes. With the 914 engine, I
suspect it could make it into the 30 to 40,000 foot range if the O2 and ATC
constraints weren't there.

An example of a flight I plan to make in this airplane -- one that I have
made numerous times in my twin comanche - is from Minden airport to Livermore
in the bay area. That is about a one hour flight in the PA30 and should be
about 10 minutes longer in the Mini U2. What I will do for safety sake will
be to fly the flight at high altitudes of about 14 to 15000 feet at least. At
these altitudes, even over the rough terrain over the Sierras, an engine
failure should result in a landing at an airport and not in a rock meadow in
the high Sierras. If the airplane were a short wing version, that prospect of
landing in the mountains is not one I relish.

The airplane has a fealthering prop - airmaster - which will help the drag. I
have seen a Grob 109 out here soaring over the mountains with similar
performance as the Europa should have. I also intend to do a clean up
operation on the design and am considering things like severe cowl flaps to
block the cooling air when the engine is shut down, retracting the outriggers
- or making them very short - and other ideas to reduce the drag of the
airplane.

I know it is more than possible to land the sort wing airplane dead stick
into an airport, but the Mini U2 will make that easier and more plentiful. If
you assume a 27 to one glide ratio and a cruise altitude of 14,500 feet over
the Sierras west of here, the airplane can glide in the theoretical still air
43 nautical miles back to the 4700 elevation of Minden airport. That is more
than enough distance to return to the field -- or make it to the next
airfield on the West side of the Sierras. On days where there is lift, this
can obviously be even better.

I am in glider training right now and going for my rating on Friday. I can
see by flying those airplanes how the glide ratio will be a good thing.

After all that, I may still go out and build the short wings and throw
caution to the wind -- what the heck!

Dave