Mo Gas o No Mo Gas

Subject: Mo Gas o No Mo Gas
From: NiqNaq <niqnaq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:37:58
>I'm sure this has been debated many times for the rotax but
Ive not seen
>anything on my time in the group so all comments gratefully
appreciated.

Kevin,

>Fuel brewed for aircraft use has a lot of extra stuff in it.
This is a primary reason for dual plugs.
One of the two is typically in a state of fouling out.
While the crap builds up on the fouling one,
the clean one will usually work long enough
for the crap to flake off of the other one.
By then, the other one is beginning to build up...
This cycle is perpetual and fairly constant
over the range of several thousand revs.
Carburetors with poorly designed induction pipes
causing uneven mixtures, old fuel, poor timing from magnetos
all contribute.
AvGas has to support all of these conditions.

Clean, fresh street gas, w/ octane boost if u want, and a
computer controlled injection and ignition system is a
dream come true for single plug cylinders.

Also, beware of too much ram air.
Some auto installations are pretty lame on the subject.
You might need to relocate your airbox pressure sensor, if
there is one.
Aftermarket EFI controller units can be adjusted to better
compensate
your timing and injection profiles for altitude and
velocity.

A bit much, but it's been awhile.
Good Luck,
Nic - A145   :)