Re: First Flight (now rudder)

Subject: Re: First Flight (now rudder)
From: Bob Jacobsen <jacobsenra@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:53:25

Actually I think what you are noticing is that the mono wheel is actually a
taildragger (least we all forget).  On all other taildraggers I have flown
(including the Europa) you must be careful to keep it straight.

I have in the past owned and flown a couple of Globe Swifts.  On one that I
had with a 210 Continental I had to have full right rudder and lots of right
brake to keep it straight on takeoff.   Compared to that plane the Europa is
a dream and the rudder is very effective.

Trikes want to go straight ahead and taildraggers want to switch ends.  A
Cessna 150 is just a Cessna 140 with a nose gear and the rudder feels
useless on the 140 but the 150 is easy to keep straight.

Bob Jacobsen
A131