Europa-List: Fuel tank inspection hole

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel tank inspection hole
From: Alexander P. de C. Kaarsberg <kaarsber@terra.com.br>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:20:02

Hi all,

I am about to think about fitting a magnetic fuel level indicator,
(well, two really, and a more correct term is dripless sticks, one in
each side of the tank inboard of the headrests) and remember there has
been a mention of an access panel being made up between the two headrests.
What is the method, does one have to reinforce the area around the
cutout and are there any recommended maximum dimensions?
And how about the hole in the tank, which glue/sealant will stick to the
new type of tank?
Also, looking at the way the tank is installed, is there no danger of it
fretting against the structure, springing a leak over the years? I know
it is glassed in, but don`t believe that will hold it 100% in place and
then its also said the tank unbonds from the glass....I was thinking of
using something like blue-tack at strategic locations to reduce that
possibility and maybe get the bonus of improved acoustics, but I`m not
sure of the long term effect it might have on the plastic.... any thoughts?

Best regards to all,

Alex, kit 529

PS, I'm sending this to the new forum too, as it seems the old forum is
not going to work. Have tried to post messages there several times but
get them bounced back....