Antw: Cabin heat & fresh air

Subject: Antw: Cabin heat & fresh air
From: Alfred Buess <Alfred.Buess@shl.bfh.ch>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:03:55
Rob,

If I remember well, Bob Jacobson has installed such a system with good results.
I hope he is still hooked to the list and gives his first hand comments. I plan
to install the same system as well.

Alfred
#097 Monowheel 912S still beeing built

>>> RobH@hyperion-ef.com 07/22 9:10  >>>
While trying to devise a simple means of getting heated air into the cabin
it occurred to me that a readily available source is the air behind the
water "radiator" in the cooling duct.  While this air is undeniably warmer
than ambient, I haven't a clue whether it would be warm enough to actually
heat the cabin, so my first questions for the group are "Has any one tried
this?" and "If so, did it do the job?"

Aeroduct "SCAT" flexible ducting would take the warmed air from a hole in
CD1 (the sheet aluminum piece that forms the upper surface of the cooling
duct) up through the open space within the engine mounting frame (MT05),
and deliver it to a plenum on the engine side of the firewall.  Since the
region behind the coolers is close to the exit from the cooling duct it may
be a relatively low pressure area making this scheme unworkable without
partially blocking the air flow in order to "force" air into the flexible
ducting.  Comments, anyone?

I have in mind a similar scheme to get fresh air into the cabin, this time
---From the plenum formed by CD6 and CD7 (the "air filter chamber" for the 914
installation) and the lower cowling.  The inlet to this chamber is through a
large NACA duct in the 914's XS cowling, and the chamber is isolated (but
not sealed) from the rest of the engine compartment so it should remain free
of carbon monoxide.  Again, comments would be appreciated.

With the appropriate valves these two air streams could be selected singly,
or mixed, as required, and ducted into the cabin where another plenum/valve
arrangement would be used to direct the airflow to the windscreen or the
footwells.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070