Re: King KX 125 Nav/Com problem - and monowheel

Subject: Re: King KX 125 Nav/Com problem - and monowheel
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:29:00
Dave,

I had a similar problem, and after much head scratching, found a fix.
Pins H and J on P501 must be jumpered together to get the NAV
to work. I jumpered the pins together inside the KX125 rather than
pull the whole panel out. Whatever is easier for you.

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD

David Corbett wrote:

> 1    King KX 125 Nav/Com
>
> This is a plea for help from all you avionics buffs out there, wherever you
> are
in the world, from Ron Jones and myself. The story is as follows. Ron and I
are both UK Europa owners, and we each had a KX 125 installed into our Europa
panels by Brien Nelson when he was at RD Aviation. Brien, who now works at
Hinton-in-the-Hedges,
tells me that the problem also affects a third KX 125 that
he installed, but not into a Europa.

> The KX 125 has a Nav indicator in the face of the set itself. The problem with
the 3 sets installed by Brien is that none are getting a Nav indication.

> My panel was signed off by Alex Vincent at RGV Aviation at Gloucester, but the
work that he did at that time only involved bench testing the installation.
When the problem manifested itself during flight testing, I removed the set and
took it back to Alex, who confirmed that there was no fault with the set, and
that it should give a Nav indication.

> The implication, therefore, is that there is an aerial problem. Brien decided
to try to resolve the problem by making up a "Balun" to attach to the Nav
aerial;
Ron did attach his, but had no improvement.

> I did not attach the balun to my aerial, because the aerial is feeding not
> only
the KX 125, but also the Nav section of my Garmin 430 - through a diplexer.
The VOR indication on the latter is perfect, and the ident signal being picked
up by the KX 125 is in fact stronger than the ident being received through the
430.

> Therefore, my aerial installation is serviceable.
>
> Why, therefore, are these KX 125's not giving a Nav indication? Brien has
> double-checked
the wiring diagram, and is convinced that he has made every connection
necessary.

> Has anyone else got any experience of this set - and if so, did you have a
> similar
problem? Any views will be very much appreciated.

> 2    Monowheel outriggers wheels.
>
> This information is for operators of older monowheel Europa's.
>
> My aircraft is 265, and I probably bought the wing kit about six years ago. I
have now done 100 hours, and have just had a partial failure of an outrigger
wheel - in that the blue wheel part slid sideways on the bearing, and wore away
part of the black hub.

> The factory immediately sent me 2 replacements, and I am pleased to see that
the wheel unit has been improved; whilst the wheel itself is identical, a thin
blue "hubcap" covers the end of the black bearing housing, and outside that
there
is a very thin stainless steel washer.

> This improvement may be news to owners of older aircraft, and the cost of a
> pair
of wheels posted is less than 25; I hope this may be of interest.