Roll over protection - more ideas

Subject: Roll over protection - more ideas
From: nigel_graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:59:13
I have come to exactly the same conclusion (and solution). Consider also
reinforcing the rear  "D" of the door opening, taking the load path down
onto the rear of the seat/tank moulding.

In a high energy nose-over, the tail is likely to break off just in front of
the fin, so this cannot be relied upon to support the aircraft inverted.

The instrument glass can blind you if it shatters, so consider cutting discs
of the self adhesive safety plastic sheeting, sold by glaziers to safeguard
door and window glass. It wont stop the glass breaking, but it will prevent
shards from doing any damage. It's not cheap, but then what is your eye
sight worth?

A collapsible glare shield can be made by taking a splash moulding from the
original before cutting it off, then injecting the mould with polyurethane
foam - sold in cans at DIY stores as "gap filler". Once released and
trimmed, it can be attached to the binnacle and upholstered in the normal
way. It looks like the original - but much safer.

One last thing that concerns me is the likelihood of the instrument binnacle
breaking loose and flailing around on it's wiring harness inside the cockpit
during a prolonged "arrival" like a cartwheel or end-over-end. I think the
mountings would rip out fairly easily if the firewall distorted. I would
consider bonding (redux) the binnacle directly to the firewall to create a
monocoque construction, then having a removable front panel for instrument
access. A much stronger construction with virtually no weight increase.

Not a pleasant subject I admit, but if a little thought during the build can
save someone's sight, limbs or life, one that's worth raising.

Nigel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles McCallum" <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Subject: Re:  Roll over protection & cabriolete

> I'm quite interested in this suggestion of "roll over protection" in the
> Europa. Does it actually exist or is it a myth ?

---From what I've seen of crashed Europas, There isn't any real rollover
protection - if you invert the aeroplane, the chances are that the
windshield breaks and the "roof" collapses at the front.

I plan to lay up several layers of carbon uni in the windshield post,
extending the plies down towards the seat front. A wedge of foam will then
be bonded into the corner formed by the post, and another couple of layers
of CF uni (followed by one of bid to contain the uni if it shatters) laid up
to finish it. I also have the advantage that I have a CF center post in the
windshield (it's for the BRS front harness) that effectively makes a tripod
rollover hoop.

Another thing worthy of consideration is the lip on the instrument panel -
by its nature, very stiff and unyielding, and quite capable of inflicting
serious injury (as it has done to several people) if you hit it in a crash -
particularly if the seatbelt attachment fails. It does have to be said that
in one particular case, the fact that the occupants survived is pretty
astonishing (if it had been a Cessna, they wouldn't have) but I am
considering cutting it off and replacing it with a flexible glareshield.

Miles