Re: Bending hinge pins

Subject: Re: Bending hinge pins
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:14:40
It's so lonely out here on the left coast of the USA.  I do hope that the
list forum
comes back up soon...all I'm getting in my in-box now is spam for marital
aids
and home loans.

After the discussion on bending hinge pins, and not liking the way the hinge
began
binding slightly after bending the second end,
I took it upon myself to try drilling the hinge pins instead of bending
them.
Bottom line - there's a better way.

I used a #58 drill, which is large for 0.031 safety wire, but is more
resistant
to bending than the #62 which is the better match to the wire diameter.
A drilling block and drill press must be used to keep the drill straight.
This block consists
of a mild steel plate about 3/16" thick and 3/4" wide with a 3/32" hole for
the pin
across the width, and a #58 hole in the end of the plate about 1/16" in from
the edge.
The length is about 3", but will shorten as you drill the holes ( more on
this later )
Since you are drilling high strength steel, a 135 degree split point cobalt
steel drill
must be used.  These are about $1.50 each.  You will need 10.

The main problem with this method is that the drill is too flexible to
withstand the
pressure needed to drill the hinge pin.  The cobalt steel drill will easily
drill mild
steel, and as the drill flexes, the shank flutes will widen the hole
rapidly.  The drill
won't remain on center.  A further problem is that cobalt steel lasts about
3-4 holes.
Thus, you'll consume 1 drill (at least) for every 2 pins, at which time
you'll also need
to build another drilling block.

The result is nice, but Tony Bingelis in "The Sportplane Builder" offers a
better
method - cut the hinges about 3/16" overlength, the pins to the specified
length,
drill through the hinge loops about 3/64" in from the ends, and safety wire
through the
hinge.  You're drilling aluminum, not steel.  You'll need cut the hinges
---From the stuff
the factory gives you and buy some more hinge stock (from either Europa or
Wicks),
but the cost of the additional hinge plates would have been far less than
the $20 I spent
on drills and hinge pin.

Shaun
A207