Wing mounting pins

Subject: Wing mounting pins
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 23:39:58
Hello group!

I have successfully installed my spar bushings and have set my high aspect
ratio wings at 2.4 degrees dihedral. The wings go on very well at this point.
I have made the local reinforcements to the skin at the front and rear of the
root rib of both wings. Per the manual, I have rigged the wings, set the
sweep and have started to measure the gap between the root rib and the
fuselage with the sockets in there. The starboard forward gap is 11.5 mm and
that translates to 2 metal plates to be bonded in -- just about what I
figured. On the port forward pin, the gap with the socket in there measures
only 2 mm!! When you do the book calculation, that leaves a negative number
at the first step. (subtracting 3mm). There isn't even enough room for the 6
plies of fiberglass  I am somewhat dismayed, since the pin needs to be
threaded into a taped hole in the wing root. I can't get a metal plate in
there unless I machine away some of the square socket to allow for this.

Does anyone have any ideas? The manual says you "may" end up needing to
install the metal plates to fill the gap, but what do you do if there is no
metal plate? I can't imagine taping threads into the carbon fiber wing root
rib directly.

Perplexed in Nevada,

Dave Anderson
A227