Re: Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate

Subject: Re: Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 18:48:47
A few other considerations (from someone who made the same decision
recently):

1) Forced landings - the monowheel is better suited to unprepared
'runways'
2) Ditching - less chance of flipping over in a mono
3) Flaps - more options in a tri, two settings only in a mono (although
there is at least one mono being built with flaps independent to gear)
4) Motorglider wings - personally I think it would look very odd with
legs
5) Challenge - I fancy the challenge of the mono
6) Weight - 40lbs (any better calls on this?) lighter in a mono
7) Wet/long grass - better in a mono, indeed there is at least one
reported occasion when a mono got away no problem and a tri couldn't
reach rotation speed
8) Panel - slightly more room on a tri panel
9) Storage - although it's a mod that should be done with the utmost
care (and I hate to think of the work this would require under PFA
rules), I understand that some tri owners have used the centre tunnel as
storage space
10) Soft ground (very much a UK consideration, I think!) - better in a
mono

Jeremy Davey
Europa XS monowheel 537M