Re: Flying: Fuel drawback entitlement : UK to

Subject: Re: Flying: Fuel drawback entitlement : UK to
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 09:51:56

> 1/ Fuel Drawback
>
> Does anyone know the current Customs and Excise drawback entitlement for
> flights to Europe ?
>
> URL's or links would be good, but in their absence a straightforward
> explanation would suffice.
>
> I understand that aircraft flying to Europe from the UK may be entitled
> to claim a refund from
> the tax authorities for fuel duty.
>
> How does this work ?
>
> It would seem that if I fly 18 gallons of fuel to France from the UK, I
> would be entitled to make a claim,
> but what about 18 gallons purchased in France and flown back to the UK
> ??!
>
> I hadn't even considered it, 'til I read an article on the web. Now I
> think it might help cut the cost of
> foreign trips.
>
> No doubt, someone will tell me that it doesn't work that way for private
> flights, or that unleaded fuel is excluded ?

It is for fuel EXPORTED from the UK to the continog. Not for fuel purchased
overseas.

You fill in the form, attach receipts for fuel purchased in this country and
send off. The receipts must be for fuel purchased AFTER the last trip to the
continog. You can only claim up to the maximum capacity of your aircraft,
and must have receipts for the capacity or more.

The rate two years ago was about 27p per litre of AVGAS.

I'm not sure whether it applies to MOGAS, if so I wonder if I can claim it
when I take a carfull of fuel through the tunnel ? Probably NOT !

It certainly does work for private flights; the question is not asked on the
form.

A cheque comes through in 3 - 5 weeks. Money back from the governmint !

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, being built.