Resin pumps

Subject: Resin pumps
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 19:02:51
Has anyone else had a problem with their Michael Engineering Ltd./Rook Metering
Equipment Inc. resin pump where it pumps a black contaminant (believed to be
fine aluminium particles) with the resin?

Mine did this when new from both pump units, and the first suggested fix of
flushing it with hardener and resin only succeeded in contaminating an entire
pack of resin+hardener (I must have pumped them through about 3 times and the
contaminant was still coming). As it was bought through the factory, they
arranged new pump units for me from the US, and having fitted these (what a
wonderfully messy job that was!) and put in fresh hardener and resin, the new
ones do exactly the same :-(.

I'm no engineer, but I can't see how I could have done anything wrong in the
simple procedure:

1)        Pour resin and hardener into reservoirs
2)        Put tubs under spouts
3)        Pump handle

I've given it about 20 strokes, and the black streaks are coming through as
before. I don't want to proceed further and ruin more Ampreg - so I thought I'd
see if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone has any thoughts on it.

Looks like I've got another long weekend coming up measuring out on the digital
scales...

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey