Spar vs Ailerons

Subject: Spar vs Ailerons
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 01:10:53
Hi all,

So I made a great step today. I have drilled and installed the bushings in my
glider wings and actually was able to install them with the 1/2 inch bolts.
They are sitting at 2.3 and 2.4 degrees dihedral without the bushings being
bonded in for the last time. That is the good news.

The bad news is that with the wings in place and the spars as far forward as
possible, the aileron controls are hitting the spar on the starboard side and
are unable too move. The bolts that hold the control links are hitting the
spar. I can see one possibility. I have the bolts that hold the rod ends with
the head toward the tank and the nut toward the spar. I see in the drawing
that is not correct. I was trying to have maximum clearance with the tank. If
I turn those around, the controls might clear the spar. If that solves it,
there is very little distance between the aileron control arms and the spar.
That brings my question:

How close do the ailerons come to the spar? The distance between the tank and
the spar is quite small. ALSO - how the heck do you get the nut on the end of
the 1/2 inch bolt. I can only barely get it on the port bolt and I am having
a heck of a time getting it on to the starboard bolt. I have visually checked
the spars and they both seem to be as far forward as possible - the port side
being tightened down by the bolt.

It  looks good there with the wings, anyway. I'll need to resolve this roll
problem before flying. It would not work well to take off with  full aileron
deflection!

Dave
A227
Gardnerville, NV Mono Glider