Re: Mods & 120 HP JAB engine

Subject: Re: Mods & 120 HP JAB engine
From: clevelee@cswebmail.com
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 05:49:41
I too am going through the soul searching involed in the engine decision.  I
recently cancelled my FWF kit for the 914 and decided upon the 3300. (So some
other folks just moved up in the queue.)  Jabiru USA was better able to describe
to me the exact components of the 3300 FWF kit for the Europa than they were
able to last year. John at Europa was extremely gracious in working with me, and
my conversations with both he and Andy confirmed my pleasure in working with the
Europa group.

In my research I contacted Air Master in regards to their CS prop, and asked the
question about the availibilty of a power to manifold pressure graph for the
3300 - or how they went about determining the prop auto settings.  Below is
their reply, which is somewhat vague but includes info on their recommended prop
size.  I currently have the question into them about the relative inefficiency
of a smaller prop.

"The Airmaster AP332 propeller will be a good match for your Jabiru powered
Europa. We have conducted testing of the propeller on this engine in a Jabiru
aircraft, and we now have many successful installations of the propeller on
Europa aircraft.

We do not have the power map for the Jabiru 3300 engine, that would relate MAP,
power and engine speed. Unfortunately Jabiru do not publish this information for
this engine. What we do know from our inquiries with Jabiru, is that there is no
MAP limits for normal operation of the engine. This means that there is no
strict
requirement to know this information (ie you can't damage the engine even with
unrestricted throttle movement in the normal engine speed range). We have chosen
three speeds for the pre-sets of our controller based on our discussions with
Jabiru, and our performance testing with this engine.

Our performance testing also enables us to recommend the best propeller diameter
and blade selection for this engine. For the Jabiru 3300 engine we recommend a
60inch diameter and our standard chord blades. This diameter is small when
compared with the propellers typically fitted to aircraft with engines such as
the Rotaxs. This is due to the high output speed of the engine."

---From my perspective, a couple of extra inches of ground clearance for the
Mono
can't be a bad thing.

Cleve Lee
A198 Mono XS
Detroit, MI

> >Second thing the Jabiru 3300 120hp sounds very powerful for a Europa, is
> >the weight of it OK.
> >Kevin
>
> Unfortunately IMHO the rpm at 120 hp is too high for an efficient
> propeller, getting into the transonic zone of Mach # at the tips. a. noisy
> and b. inefficient.
>
> Graham

The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!