Re: 3/8inch tubing fittings

Subject: Re: 3/8inch tubing fittings
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:51:58
>Fergus Kyle wrote:
>
> ....a little past the page 100 point, Aircraft Spruce catalog show
> the
> fittings for 3/8inch alum. tubing - which I have chosen for my fuel system.
> Just in case, I also ordered a packet of "DEL 37deg FITTING SEALS" of the
> proper size and have then sitting beside me.
>         Am about to mount the cockpit module into the fuselage and wish to
> test the lines for pressure integrity but don't know whether these 'seals'
> are for later inclusion where damage to abutting faces is suspected or where
> a leak occurs.
>         Does anyone use these, and are they used from the outset, or for
> vetting leaks as found? Do they have drawbacks - aging, deterioration, or
> damaging effects of any kind?

Those must be for maintenance purposes to fix leaks resulting from
damage that's somehow not enough to dictate replacement yet enough to
leak [??].  They're not used on production aircraft, which to me is a
hint.  I also bought a few in case I couldn't fabricate a clean
37-degree flare for the tri-gear's brake lines, but otherwise I don't
see an advantage in having four mating surfaces verses two especially
in low pressure use like a fuel line.

Best,
Fred F.