Rotax 914 cough

Subject: Rotax 914 cough
From: Eamonn Sheridan <ESheridan@telepub.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:15:12
I have a Rotax 914 Turbo installed in a Europa XS, it currently has 65 Hrs
logged from new, and runs on Mogas.
Last weekend after 30 minutes duration I experienced two short coughs from
the engine in quick
succession. At this point I Selected the auxiliary fuel pump and changed
fuel tanks to reserve.
I returned back home having experienced no further problems. I considered
the cough
to be exaggerated due to the clutch mechanism of the prop.
Once landed, after a visual check of the aircraft, I decided to carry out
some circuits.
After the first touch and go, I applied full power, started to climb and at
Approx 100 ft the engine
coughed again, this time three times, I selected the Aux fuel pump
and requested a precautionary tight circuit of the field and landed.  This
is the only occasion
that I have experienced any coughs with this engine.
Later, I drained and filtered the entire contents of the fuel tank which was
free from any
contamination.  15 Hours ago the fuel filters had been replaced, and I have
now replaced them again.
I also checked the fuel flow rate from both fuel pumps, which appeared to be
functioning correctly.
On further closer inspection of the aircraft, I discovered that the Air
filter had detached itself
---From the air inlet manifold and was lying in the base of the lower cowling.
Has anyone else experienced
this problem? Do you think that this is the likely cause of the engine
problems, running too lean?
If so, what would you advise I do before considering flying it again?

Eamonn Sheridan