Prop Balancing in the UK

Subject: Prop Balancing in the UK
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 01:22:33
It is well recognised that dynamically balancing your propeller is
important to ensure long life of all aspects of your aircraft which could
be affected by vibration (engine and avionics in particular).

In the UK there are very few companies providing this service and it came
to my attention that one of these was charging a lot of money for their
services (250+VAT). This does not include any travelling charges or the
fuel costs and the landing fee at Coventry.

Representing the Europa Club as a committee member I have approached
another company (Arrow Aviation) who will do a special price for Europas
only at 140+VAT.
This company is based in Devon (which is obviously not as conveniently
placed for many people). To economically make use of their services there
are two options:

1. Assuming the prop is not too far out of balance to start with (most
props are OK in this respect) fly the aircaft to Exeter where Arrow will
come to do the work with no travelling charges.
2. Arrange with other owners in your area to have several props done at
once to share the travelling charge. Although it hasn't worked out for me
yet Arrow also offered a reduced charge if I could fit in when they were
passing my area.

In the longer term one of the Europa Club members is pioneering his own
design of dynamic balancing equipment and assuming this becomes available
it is likely he will be able to offer his services competitively. First
trials of this equipment are planned to take place in the next few months.

Arrow Aviation can be contacted at arrow@eclipse.co.uk or telephone 01884
855327.

Nigel Charles