Re: Faulty Altitude reporting

Subject: Re: Faulty Altitude reporting
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:16:38

> Paul, interesting was an FAA test of 548 transponders at Sun-n-Fun and
> Oshkosh '97 (voluntary basis; not representative of ATC users).
> Altitude errors 3%, using tight ATC tolerance, but only one way off.

What I find surprising is that you don't have to have your transponders tested

regularly. In New Zealand, if fitted, the transponder gets tested biannually
along with the radios, altimeter and ELT.  If any of them fail muster then that

aircraft is going to sit on the ground.... as is the case with ZK-UBD which
just had both its radio systems fail the tests as did the static system due to

excessive leakage. As to what they failed the radio systems on, we'll find out

on Tuesday. The King is using the split dipole in the tail and the Microair is

using a Bob Archer in the fuselage.

Tony