Re: Fw: Aligning Vertical Tail

Subject: Re: Fw: Aligning Vertical Tail
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:16:17
Hans,
Done that, been there!!
An inherit twist exists in the lower module when moulded. Slight misalignment
with
the fin once top module is bonded. Best thing to do.....leave it and live
with it. Trying to correct it is only putting more stress in the modules and who
knows what might happen later.
It will fly perfectly well I believe, say the experts.
Cheers,
Tim Ward

Hans Jrgen Danielsen wrote:

> The following was sent to the wrong adress. Here it goes again.

I have problems in adjusting the fin to a perfect vertical position,
after fitting top module. The mould is clecoed in placed (with screws actually),
but when fastening a plumb-bob string to the inside top center of the fin
leading
edge, the weight indicates quite a few mm to the right of center line in
the lower mould.

> I think I know why. There is a built-in twist in the lower moulding which went
unnoticed when installing the Stabilizer torque tube and aft bulkhead. The
manual
didn't warn about this possibility. So to recapitulate: The torque tube
was installed as per manual with horizontal alignment with the forward part of
the mould (straight edge between bolts in wing pin holes). In other words the
hole for the left bronze bushing had to be widened slightly to obtain correct
alignment before fastening the bushings - thus building in the twist.

> The question is: What do I do? By grabbing the top of the fin and forceing it
to the left and cleco it in this position I'm still left with the weight
pointing
5-6 mm to the right of the centerline. I'm able to force it a bit further
to the side, but am reluctant to do so as not to introduce unacceptable stress
to the top moulding. Are there any others out there who have experienced such
annoying misalignment (who did not check twist and corrected it before going
ahead with torque tube installation)? Would a slightly tilted fin be noticed
at all - or affect flying to any degree??

--
Timothy P Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,

Ph. 0064 03 3515166