Re: Mono Vs Tri-gear

Subject: Re: Mono Vs Tri-gear
From: Andy Draper <andy@europaaircraft.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:02:12
Hello Kevin,

Take off and landing in the mono-wheel requires a specific technique to be
learnt,
much as when learning taildragger techniques.

The early tailwheel design did not enable any appreciable amount of rudder to be
used until the tailwheel was off the ground, resulting in a transition from
relatively high foot loads suddenly to light foot loads.  This took some getting
used to and caught out a number of pilots with little or no tailwheel
experience.

The modification to the tailwheel follows the more conventional design practice
of driving the tailwheel steering via springs, something considered not an
option
at the beginning with the thinking that without differential brakes the pilot
would need the maximum amount of tailwheel movement available at all times.
This mod allows up to full rudder deflection whilst the tailwheel tracks
straight,
resulting in an almost undetectable change in foot loads during cross-wind
operations.

Extending the tailwheel aft also made steering easier, by making it less
sensitive.
The reduction of deck angle also helped by reducing the precession effect
of the propeller during pitching such as when lifting the tail just prior to
lift off.  A lot of pilots have developed a take-off technique where the
tailwheel
is kept on the ground right up to the point of leaving the ground, which
eliminates the latter problem.

The mono-wheel Europa does require proper training followed by attention during
take off and landing similar to other tail-draggers, but the comment that there
is a stage at which the pilot has no control is pure nonsense, as I'm sure
you would suspect.

If it's of interest when you have decided whether or not to take the Europa
plunge,
I'm a PFA coach and live in North East Yorkshire.

Best Regards
Andy Draper

Technical Director
e-mail   andy@europa-aircraft.com

>>> "Kevin Taylor" <kevin@eastyorkshire.co.uk> 03/24/02 05:03pm >>>
All,

I am fairly new to this group and am currently deciding on weather to buy in to
a Mono or Tri-gear. (second hand)

I'm not sure what to believe really, If you Speak to a mono wheel owner he will
tell you the hype was all blown out of proportion, speak to a tri-gear owner
and most seam to suggest there is a stage in the take off and landing where the
pilot doesn't have control!

I am sure this is a debate that has been had many times, I would be interested
in any articles stories etc that I could read to gain opinion.

I would like to understand the technique for the Mono and why people have got it
wrong in the past etc.

Don't get me wrong im not trying to learn to fly by reading. I will do the
appropriate
conversion etc. I am purely interested in a cross section of views, in
order that if I do go for a mono I wont regret it later on.

Kind regards

Kevin
East Yorkshire, also looking for a PFA coach in this area if anyone has any
suggestions
please.