Re: Battery cable - corrosion

Subject: Re: Battery cable - corrosion
From: LTS <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:34:46
I beleive a similar wiring installation was the cause of in-flight fire in a
Ban-bi in France. A small wire direct to the battery -ve had set fire to the
insulation causing a fire on the engine side of the firewall. I think the
wire also ran into the cockpit and caused smoke in the cabin.

Luckily the pilot was able to make a forced landing (maybe without flaps)
into a stubble field. Apart form the damage caused by the fire the A/C got
away unscathed. It is my understanding that separate -ve wires to the
battery are a bad idea for this very reason. The earth return should be
taken back to the non battery end of the earth strap (the engine).

In the case of the Ban-bi it was just ordinary electrical power and not the
starter that had caused a fire in a very undersized wire when the main
engine earth wire failed due to incorrect installation.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
                    Jerry@ban-bi.com   or    LTS@avnet.co.uk
                    www.Ban-bi.com     or   www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown