Flying: Intercom noise

Subject: Flying: Intercom noise
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:54:42
Hi Guys,

After four years of satisfactory service in my Europa, the Flightcom 403
intercom installation has begun to
exhibit a highly irritating background hum with headsets attached and
engine running.

The hum frequency follows the engine RPM closely. Pulling every circuit
breaker in the panel, bar the intercom
itself does not alleviate the problem.

Turning down the individual headset earpiece volume controls helps, but
does not cure the problem.

Both headsets suffer equally, irrespective of which whether pilot or
passenger circuit is connected. Disconnecting
either has no effect. In all other respects the installation behaves as
it should. (transceiver etc)

Having pulled the panel several times and checked for obviously loose
wiring, I'm becoming a tad frustrated.

This is clearly leakage and is related to engine turn rate.

Any panel wizards out there got it figured ? Please help. I'm getting
p...ed off !!

Alan