Re: forum settings

Subject: Re: forum settings
From: Chris Cameron <chris.cameron@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:45:41
Greetings everyone.

I've tried to remain out of this debate and see how things go, but I felt I
should add my comments and observations.

As various people have mentioned, this forum is now operating like all the
other mail groups that I've experienced.  In fact when I first tried to reply
to a posting, I was caught by the 'quaint' reply scheme!  However, it would
appear that unlike most of those groups I've been involved with, there are a
lot of public postings where people would prefer to send private replies.  Most

groups I've been subscribed to have had mainly public replies.

Then again, on my mail client, I use "reply" to reply to the group and "reply
to all" to reply to the sender (deleting the group address) or the sender and
the group.  This will, of course, also work if the group reverts to its former

operation (if the mailgroup software that operated this way is still loaded
onto the server).

Out of curiousity, I looked at the Majordomo (a fairly common maillist server)

FAQ, which had this to say on Reply-to:

Whether you should have a "Reply-To:" or not depends on the charter of your
list and the nature of its users. If the list is a discussion list and you
generally want replies to go back to the list, you can include one. Some people

don't like being told what to do, and prefer to be able to choose whether to

their mail agent. Take note that if you do use a "Reply-To:", then some mail
agents make it much harder for a person on the list to send a private reply.
mail loops if any of the members of your list are running fairly-common but
broken software which doesn't know what an envelope address is. (Many Microsoft

products, as well as many other PC-based non-SMTP/Internet mail systems which
work through an SMTP gateway.)

Regards
Chris Cameron