Heat Insulation of fuel lines

Subject: Heat Insulation of fuel lines
From: Freeserve <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:18:07
Hi All,

I havent posted to this site recently so hope this ARRIVES at the correct
place.

We are about to install engine for the hopefully last time (had to be
removed for painting), and need to replace the sleeving on the engine side
fuel lines. We had originally used the relatively cheap foam pipe lagging as
found at B&Q (plumbing supplies) but the PFA are making disapproving noises
so will have to think again. I was under the impression that the purpose of
the insulation was for heat reduction purposes for which the foam sleeving
had excellent insulation properties (covered in aluminum tape for
protection) but it seems that the purpose of the reccommended FIRESLEEVE is
more for fire retardant purposes than heat insulation.

First question - where can one purchase FIRESLEEVE in the UK at a reasonable
cost. My local hose and hydraulic supplier wants about 20 per metre which
is going to cost the best part of 50 to do the job.

Another product I have come accross which claims to be better than
Firesleeve is Thermo Sleeve made by Thermo-Tec. It is an aluminised fabric
material, again very expensive (about 100 for 12 feet in the UK but $40 in
the USA for similar). If I could get this from the States then it might be
worth considering.

Has any Europa builder considered using Thermo Sleeve and if so is it
suitable.

They also manufacture Thermo Sleeve for lagging exhaust pipes. It is claimed
that lagging the header pipes improves engine performance. I know we have
been down this road with Europas before and it seems that the end result is
cracked manifold pipes. What is the current thinking on lagging the exhaust
pipes. It would certainly reduce the cowling temperatures.

Any thoughts, experiences would be welcome.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS