Re: Address search: Dave DeFord

Subject: Re: Address search: Dave DeFord
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:41:30
Hello Christoph,

David DeFord and I used two pressure transducers, one under each seat, to
measure the fuel tank head pressures, left and right. We also have a 3-axis
accelerometer and a temperature sensor mounted with the starboard side
pressure transducer. A micro processor samples the transducers and displays
fuel quantity on an LCD display in the panel. We calibrated the system by
filling the tank in 1 gallon increments, deriving formulas that compensate
for tank shape and attitude. Although initial accuracy seemed in the +- 0.2
gallon range, we found that the pressure transducers are not very well
compensated for temperature, causing errors of up to 3 gallons at various
temperatures. We intend to remove the unit soon and place it in an
environmental chamber to allow us to better compensate for temperature in
software.

Note: Because our pressure transducers are located in front of the tank, we
need the pitch accelerometer to compensate for pitch attitude. If the
pressure transducers were located near the center of the tank, fore and aft,
this would not be needed.

Terry Seaver
A135/N135TD
Pleasanton, CA