Re: Kunzleman strobes

Subject: Re: Kunzleman strobes
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 20:03:14
I know some disagree, but there are some things to consider.  For day
use, even minimum brightness (400 candles) per our current Regs. is
not effective, IMO.  It is more than necessary to be able to see them
at X distance, as flashes on the image of what is also appears to be a
plane.  It is necessary that the flashes attract one's attention to
something which is not easily visible otherwise during an intentional
scan, preferably when one is not actively scanning.  To this end,
rules here for obstruction lighting require 140,000-270,000 candles in
daylight, on the basis that the presence of a tall tower or smokestack
be evident before it is otherwise visible at hazardous short distance
in the haze.

I've found no gov't recommendation that daytime mid-air collisions be
reduced by using strobes in daylight, and our NTSB constantly nags the
FAA to do things.  Because statistically, collisions here are
infrequent, happen in good visibility, occur in airport traffic
patterns, and commonly involve the high-wing vs. low-wing, or at least
one very fast aircraft - the neither ever saw it coming type of
accident.

I would at least opt for the high candles, or just pocket the money.
I will install to be legal at  night.

Best,
Fred F.