Re: Kunzleman strobes

Subject: Re: Kunzleman strobes
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:59:34
Duncan beat me to the punch, but I have other information of possible use...

The Kuntzleman strobe is sold in the UK as the Skyflash.  I have not had
good luck in obtaining photometric data from Kuntzleman, nor in obtaining
the energy
output of the power supply (the theory being that most flash tubes are of
similar
efficiency and therefore there's a simple correlation between power supply
output and raw
light output).  I doubt that he's tested the unit in this manner.
The response is, "try it, if you are not satisfied, you can return it".  He
verbally
stated that the energy output of the unit is about 12 joules or so.  I can't
recall
precisely, but it was low.

I talked with Aeroflash, whose power unit pair draws about 4A; they stated
that their energy output was on the order of 14 joules and did not meet
current FAA
regs.  Their units were designed largely for OEM replacement for build dates
before the new regs took effect.  Cessna used them heavily.

Whelen, on the other hand, was very helpful, offering a rule of thumb for
light
output - it turns out that about 20 joules produces 400 candela only with a
lensed
strobe unit that matches the heavily horizontally weighted light pattern
specified
in the regs.  This lens concentrates the energy of the flash by about 3-4x;
an unlensed
strobe with a 20 joule supply would only be able to provide about 100-150
candela.

Whelen manufactures a single-pulse low energy strobe supply that puts out
precisely 20 joules
and consumes 4A, and meets FAA regs.  Their comet flash unit puts out about
twice that
much in a 4-flash grouping that demands 7A.

Kuntzleman claims a highly efficient power supply;  may be true.  However, I
don't
think that the strobe head is lensed, which means that the effective candela
is
probably fairly low.  To the naked eye, this doesn't mean that much - a 4:1
difference
in brightness is not obvious, since the eye's response is logarithmic.

Your FAA/CAA inspector may have his/her own opinions about your choice of
strobe
unit, but lotsa US homebuilders are running with Aeroflash units and can be
seen at night OK.

Shaun