Re: acetone & MEK

Subject: Re: acetone & MEK
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:18:55

>Can anyone comment on the _relative_ nastiness of acetone and MEK

A couple of observations:

Acetone is sold (in small quantities) as nail-varnish remover - would
this be permitted if it was lethal?

I seem to remember that MEK was used as a solvent for the adhesive on
shrink-film coverings for model aeroplanes, and that one of the
cautions I saw printed back then was that MEK could cause blindness
if it gets in the eye.

I am using acetone as a brush and scissor cleaner, but I always wear
my (activated-charcoal) mask for all operations involving epoxy,
including cleanup.

regards

Rowland