Re: acetone & MEK

Subject: Re: acetone & MEK
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:39:25
> Can anyone comment on the _relative_ nastiness of acetone and MEK, please?
> Being about to start building, I'll be getting one or the other in the next
> week. I don't mind using more solvent and paying more money if that means
> less risk to my health - and Tony's comment on MEK show sound reasons for
> concern.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
>
> Regards,
> Jeremy

Neither are really necessary, and MEK is definitely the nastier, but
Acetone evaps too quick.  For tool cleanup, any solvent (and evev
non-solvents, as posted here, or mineral spirits) work.  For prepping
bonding surfaces, lack of contaminant in the solvent is a big problem
("recovered" solvents).  But for that you can buy "virgin" lacquer
thinner, which is OK, as it's in most spray paint cans used by the
masses.  Acrylic lacquer thinner from an auto body supplier may have a
more pleasant odor for some, and should be virgin in a name brand if
not so stated.

Regards,
Fred F.