Re: acetone, MEK & chemicals in general

Subject: Re: acetone, MEK & chemicals in general
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:15:50
> When using MEK (or acetone) always wear protective gloves and use a face
> mask and goggles. Never use MEK or acetone to clean your hands.

I know acetone is bad stuff, but I had to help someone wash their face with
it after an accident with a photo-resist - acetone was the only thing that
would get it off and it had to be removed quickly.  Mind you... he's a bit
of a strange person, maybe this incident explains it.

> Build safe.

Too right. Chemicals are something a lot of people take for granted, but
should be treated with utmost respect.  I worked in a university chemistry
department for years (and still have my web pages there) and know the bad
things about a lot of chemicals - those I don't know at least a little bit
about, I avoid.  Everyone should read the instructions and accident
procedures details supplied with chemicals.  As an idea of the severity of
some chemicals, I have worked with stuff that passes through the skin and
rots the bones!

When using acetone/MEK/petrol, make sure you've got a good (and suitable)
fire extinguisher handy and make sure you know how to use it- I've seen the
effects of an acetone 'explosion' and the poor bloke ended up in hospital
for 3 months followed by more surgery for over a year.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - 07050 645590
europa-builder@ntlworld.com