Re: Access panel/inspection hatch

Subject: Re: Access panel/inspection hatch
From: J Moran <jmoran01@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:23:39
Builders using the EIS can consider my lazy man's approach for an
access panel: the EIS mounts via 4 screws accessible from the
cockpit side. By using nutplates for these screws they can be
removed easily, allowing the EIS to be quickly taken out since it
has connectors directly on its back side.

Once the EIS is removed, the hole is a natural access hatch.
With a little pre-planning all of the connectors can be situated
such that they can be accessed through this hole. I used 4 Mate
'n Lock connectors on an aluminum bracket bolted to the firewall
for the panel wiring connections. The BNC disconnects for the
antennas were located so they too were easily accessible through
this opening as was the connection to the control for the ELT
(though not so easy to reach).

The ignition switches were placed on a separate small bracket
which did not have connectors but simply slid up to the panel
where I pulled it into place with hemostats (through the switch
hole) and then installed screws to hold it in place.

Controls for carb heat and cabin heat were located on an "L"
shaped bracket which attaches to the bottom of the panel above
the pilot's feet via Southco fasteners.  With the fasteners
released this sub-panel dangles in the footwell, suspended by the
bowdin cables.

As an aside, I used button head screws to mount all instruments
and brackets.  The button heads in small sizes look almost like
rivets because the hex opening is very small,  plus it is almost
impossible for the hex wrench to slip and gouge the panel (a plus
for us fumble finger types).

John