Re: Access Panel

Subject: Re: Access Panel
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:21:37
Hi! Richard.
I had mine cleared by the PFA and if you look at :-  http://www.crix.org.uk
under my aircraft G-PTAG re:- Firewall Pictures 1 and 2. you should find it
. It needs a light gauge stainless sheet re-enforcement clamped  between the
panel and the rear firewall to make up for structural strength and the holes
have stainless flanges surrounding with stainless pop rivets. All corners
must be radiused though. It is convenient that the longer central cut out
giving access to the rear of the radio stack is the same size as the Jabiru
Air Filter box flange ,so the amalgamation of all the items together makes
for a still stronger assembly .The replacement panels are the actual pieces
which were cut out of the firewall, with the stainless sheet reduxed to the
back then the flanges are fitted with anchor nuts and again stainless pop
rivets. (The stainless content is for resisting radio interference and
improved
fire resistance.) I used a hand held hacksaw blade to take out the panels
but to produce the radiused corners you need to remove the little pin from
the end of a junior hacksaw blade allowing you to turn the corner. On
completion of testing the saw cut is filled with a fireproof mastic, having
previously put a blob on the back of any rearward protruding rivets or nuts
that may conduct heat through from a forward fire.
Regards
Bob Harrison  G-PTAG   Europa MKI 337/Jabiru 3300