Re: drill speed

Subject: Re: drill speed
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:31:16
Actually there is an "ideal" speed but it is expressed in surface
speed, not RPM.  Using the quaint inch-foot system (yuk!), for
aluminum it's in the range of 200 to 300 surface feet per minute (SFM)
and for steel 50 to 60 SFM, in each case assuming you are using high
speed steel or cobalt steel drills.  You should not use a carbide
drill in a drill press (you'll break the drill bit) so I'll ignore
that option.

SFM = RPM X PI X DIAMETER

so

RPM = SFM / (PI X DIAMETER)

making sure all units are consistent (if you are using surface FEET
don't use diamter in INCHES, convert to feet).  (This stuff sure is
easier in metric!)

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070