Re: rescue service

Subject: Re: rescue service
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:46:55

----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Subject: rescue service

> A few of us have discussed this for NZ as well.
>
> Primary concern centred around tyres and inner tubes. Getting a
replacement
> main tyre from the US takes around one week at the best so having a pool
spare
> for things like that make a lot of sense.
>
> My thoughts for here are to make it a subscription service that would
slowly
> build up a store of spares in two centres. If a part is used then it
becomes
> the users responsibility to replenish the store.
>
> Tony

The original concept of the scheme was to increase the benefits of being a
club member, thereby attracting more members, which in turn would finance it
with the increased subscription. Being a club member should be something
everyone can see a real benefit from, and it can be, if we make the services
available to everyone. If the club starts to divide into fractional extra
subscription services it will loose its appeal.
I know you people over the pond and in less populated areas think you will
not benefit from the Rescue Service, but if you are less in number and you
go your own way, you will have to contribute more to have less available.
Whereas if the service is contributed to by all, you could have the benefit
of a world wide pool of parts and help to draw from. So you can benefit,
even though it may take a little longer to get you out of the sticky stuff.
The internet has become so powerful because it is available to everyone,
what would happen to it if it became fragmented?

Jim