First Flight - N741JH

Subject: First Flight - N741JH
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 07:34:28
Message text written by INTERNET:JWHanna@aol.com
>right wing is a little heavy even with small electric
aileron trim tab on left side.  Gotta work on that.  Any suggestions will
be
appreciated.  <

I didn't bother with an electric trim tab and adjusted the aileron trim
requirement so that the a/c was in trim at cruise speed with a fixed tab.
However rather than adding an aluminium strip to the rear of the aileron
(which doesn't look very pretty and upsets the mass balance of the aileron)
I used a wedge of balsa wood which was attached just to the underside of
the trailing edge of the aileron (a bit like a single sided flettner
strip). Initially this is taped in position and its length adjusted until
the required trim effect is achieved. It is then a simple matter of glueing
it and painting. This fixed trim strip could be added to your a/c leaving
the electric trim to make inflight adjustments. The balsa is hidden from
view and adds very little weight keeping the aileron reasonably mass
balanced.

>The only annoying flight characteristic is the requirement for a little
left rudder above 120 KIAS -<

You could use another balsa wedge on the rudder to adjust the in-trim speed
to match your required cruise speed. I suspect that in this case quite a
long length of balsa will be needed to have any significant effect. Also it
is more visible in this application but still preferable to the
conventional metal strip in my opinion.

Nigel Charles