Re: Gas Struts

Subject: Re: Gas Struts
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:36:28
That's a pretty clever arrangement, and sounds like at least two folks
think the benefit of the gas strut is marginal at best.  The effort to
raise the door against gravity is a wash with the effort to pull it
down with against the force of the strut, but I wonder if a day comes
the plexiglass will no longer endure the flexing of the door in strong
winds (ditto re the hinges).  I can see a safety benefit, as otherwise
some pax someday somewhere is going to let it drop, while the other
hand is draped over the jamb.

Are there other benefits to the gas strut?

I mocked up my arrangement yesterday, and it looks like the magic
dimension of a single bracket is 1/2" x 10" (1/6" steel), and slotted
for a #8 screw.  Net savings over factory arrangement is over 2 oz. a
side, plus added weight of other mods suggested so far.

Regards,
Fred F.