RE: It's official, I'm a pilot!

Subject: RE: It's official, I'm a pilot!
From: Chuck Popenoe <cpops@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:43:51
Congratulations, Chris!

I know the feeling!

Pops
still cranking away on A036

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa@post.aviators.net
Subject: It's official, I'm a pilot!

Hi, everyone.

Just thought I'd drop by and say that I am now a real pilot.  Finally.
I passed my checkride this past Tuesday, and it sure feels good.  I
probably would have had it sooner, but poor weather, business travel,
and examiner schedules made it tough.

The day was absolutely perfect.  After 3 days of rain and clouds,
Tuesday dawned clear and calm.  An hour and a half flight from West
Bend, WI up to Marshfield with my instructor (he did all the navigating,
I was a wreck) started the day early, then the oral and finally the
checkride.  I made the checkride to be a lot worse in my mind than it
was.  The checkride was actually fun.  My examiner (Duffy Gaier) has
been flying WAY longer than I've been alive, and he talked the entire
checkride (between telling me what to do).  I didn't have time to be
nervous.  I learned a lot during the whole thing from him, also, making
it a great day.

So, the flight home could have been accomplished without an airplane.  I
was really thrilled.  I promptly took my wonderfully patient wife up for
a ride the next evening and we had a great time.

Now to get my butt going on finishing our Europa!  95 knots in a 152
isn't going to cut it for long.  It will be fine to get back to
Marshfield a few times to get 10 hours of tailwheel time in "Sweet Pea",
the Piper PA-11 they have (pea soup green), but I'm really looking
forward to 120 to 130kts. in our little buggy.

Well, we wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, etc.

Chris and Sue Beck
A159