Re: Europa_Mail:Finishing/painting

Subject: Re: Europa_Mail:Finishing/painting
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:03:41
Hans, its not really contradiction, just dueling product literature
claims.  Anything pointed skyward needs protection, but the silver
coating (physical barrier) common on fabric planes is not popular on
fiberglass.  It further makes it experimental as to whether it will
affect internal antennas.  RST Engineering (selling the copper tape
antenna kits) says _apparently_ not, but caveat emptor.

The other thing is not to overreact to the problem.  System Three
Resins (for fiberglass boat builders) states that for uncoated
fiberglass, in full-time daily sun, it can take over a year to show
signs of degradation.  So it follows that any paint coating will help;
a UV-resistant system better yet; and if you intend to hangar or
garage your Europa, there's nothing to worry about, IMO.

Regards,
Fred F., A063