fires [was: Re: Capacitance fuel level sending unit.]

Subject: fires [was: Re: Capacitance fuel level sending unit.]
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:40:36

>  if the same experiment is performed with oil ignition will occur

I know from experience with a friend's kit car back in the 60s that
Duckham's Q20-50 will ignite on contact with the exhaust manifold of
a Ford 1172cc side-valve engine which is just ticking over. No doubt
the oil being sprayed from a puncture in a plastic oil line on the
high-pressure side of the oil pump helped to liven things up!

>This is presumably the reason that oil fires are considered to be
>worse than fuel fires.

Having also experienced a (stupidly self-induced) petrol fire in a
lawnmower, I'm not sure which I'd prefer! I think I'd just tick the
box for "none of the above" ...

regards

Rowland