Flying: La Rochelle excursion

Subject: Flying: La Rochelle excursion
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:46:53

La Rochelle excursion - France.

Despite concerns over curtailed flying during the recent and most
unfortunate international circumstances, I can confirm that G.A. is still
very much alive in Europe at least for now.

French customs however are far more particular and thorough than before, as
we discovered during our brief stopover at Le Havre.

In what might be the last extended trans-continental flight before the dark
nights of winter set in, a good friend and I flew my Europa south to La
Rochelle in France on the weekend of the 23rd of September.

We departing early Saturday morning from south east England. Once early
morning mist had lifted, we donned life jackets and swept across the channel
to customs at Le Touquet in less than 50 minutes.

After completing formalities we pressed on to western France, south of the
Loire valley. Despite a somewhat unforeseen 20 minute diversion due to fog
south of Abbeville which resulted in a meandering track over refreshingly
variable French countryside, we arrived at the port of La Rochelle just 2
3/4 hrs later.

I was impressed by our picturesque destination. It was suitably French.
Medieval castles were floodlit by evening beside the attractive harbour. The
extensive nearby island of Ile de Re proved a welcome diversion the
following morning.  Much of the architecture was in keeping with local
style.

The airport is just a few km from the town and landing charges are low. On
this occasion, our fuel burn was higher than normal. I used almost all the
main tank (circa 67 litres) on the journey as I held our RPM to nearer 5400
on the outbound (and downwind) leg. Total engine time was 3hrs 45min, which
included 2 take-offs at AUW and a long, long climb. (main tank capacity
around 71 litres useable).

The return trip was fraught with complexity because of the weather. On what
had been expected to be an 'average' autumn weekend, France was
uncharacteristically gripped by a deep depression. Strong easterly winds
developed through the early hours of Sunday.

Consequently this resulted in a restless night for a very nervous pilot. I
recall standing at the hotel window around 3am local, anxiously gazing out
at the strong gusting wind rustling the branches and leaves of a
neighbouring line of trees.

My imagination was working overtime as I pictured my precious unattended
aircraft wandering aimlessly across the airport apron in the early hours. I
visualised it careering into other aircraft or perhaps a building. I
resolved there and then, never again to leave it without properly securing
it against the elements.

Mercifully, a deep rut into which the main wheel had settled on the grass
prevented unwelcome movement and it was undisturbed in morning.

Yet another surprise awaited me however. In our haste to return home before
nightfall, commencing early Sunday afternoon, I elected to risk a takeoff on
the hard airport runway with surface winds 70 degrees to the port and
reported to be 22 knots gusting up to 29. Cautiously, I used the full width
available lining up for my run 'bottom right' with the aim of heading for
'top left' about 300 metres ahead.

To be fair, I may have hit a gust, though probably and more realistically I
was just plain foolish to try. For the first time ever, in over 1000
recorded take-offs and landings, I "ground looped" my aircraft.

There was a brief but rather strong smell of burning rubber from the wheel
well and in seconds we were uncontrollably veering off of the runway at 90
degrees, slicing a track through the longer grass.

Luckily, only my pride was dented.  The aircraft and propeller were
undamaged. We retired to the briefing room to scan short TAF and METAR
prints for this area, western and northern France hoping desperately for any
signs of an improvement.

The Europa has a stated 15 knots crosswind capability. Any attempt to exceed
this figure has the potential to result in an uncontrollable weathercock
into wind. Application of full right rudder on this occasion was simply
insufficient. The swerve, once properly developed was beyond correction.

Subsequent briefing room calculations showed that I had exceeded the
crosswind limit by greater than five knots.

Though I have always chosen grass over hard surfaces where possible, this
was a sobering reminder against complacency. These were the strongest winds
I had flown my Europa. I could have easily struck a ground obstruction with
the propeller, causing great expense and inconvenience and ending my flying
weekend prematurely.

This incident arose due to poor judgement caused by time pressure to return
home and my impatience with conditions well outside my experience and the
aircraft limits. I must learn to cultivate a more responsible and sober
attitude!

As a footnote to this, I watched several light aircraft come and go as the
afternoon progressed. All were able to arrive and depart without incident!

By 16:30UK, the wind had abated to 18 knots gusting 24 and 60 degrees from
the runway.  My subsequent nervous departure was uneventful and by now we
knew we had insufficient time to clear customs back to England. Our intended
destination was Le Touquet for which we had allowed around 2 1/2 hrs.

A strong headwind reduced forward progress to 115 mph. Despite accurately
holding a ground track, by 19:17UK, failing light was making further
progress risky. Having discussed a series of alternatives with my flying
colleague, I made a decision to divert to Le Havre, ten miles west on the
French coast. The runway lights were illuminated at this large regional
airport as we touched down at twilight, (still VMC) but with daylight
rapidly retreating.

We had discussed a number of potential channel customs airfields within
striking distance of home in order to facilitate a very early start the
following day. Both of us had work pressures. Factors we considered were:
late and early opening, fuel availability on credit, 24 hour customs, flight
planning facilities and accommodation nearby.

Fortuitously, Le Havre fulfilled almost all of our criteria. The town
provided for a pleasant and comfortable night for both of us, and it was
early to bed before the staggeringly early start on the following morning.

The taxi arrived at our hotel at 04:30 UK. We were at the airport by five
and planning our return flight to England. French customs were particularly
thorough in the light of the American attacks. Every item of baggage was
meticulously scrutinised by a uniformed officer. I filled the aircraft with
100LL in the black of night with only a chink of deep blue growing to the
east reminding me of approaching dawn. It also showed that the channel sky
was mercifully, at least partly clear.

Take off was delayed until 06:30 UK, when it was possible to resolve
sufficient detail in the patchwork of fields in the surrounding locality.

The bright runway lights (yes, we paid for this privilege!) directed us
northwards as we started our take off run into the still morning air. The
channel was bleak and calm. Turreted cumulous clouds glowed deep red,
reflecting the light of the rising sun.

Over 90 miles of open water lie between Le Havre and Beachy Head, West
Sussex. Confidence in my Rotax is high, though an extended trip like that is
not to be taken lightly. With transponder active I established comms. to
Deauville and London Information. In my head I endlessly rehearsed the call
to services in the event of engine trouble as we climbed out across the
channel. In the event, no such call was necessary and we completed the
crossing in around 40 minutes.

Surprisingly, my unreliable Terra tranceiver worked reasonably throughout
the entire weekend with only one notable contact failure overall. (London
Information). On that occasion, it was probably due to the considerable
distance involved.

Stratus cloud thickness and spread increased below us. Breaks between them
diminished during the crossing with only small patches visible by the time
the English coast approached. My Skymap GPS told us we were just a few miles
south of Eastbourne when I determined that VMC was now marginal.

I had resolved never again to be caught above cloud, so we spiralled rapidly
downwards just a few miles off the coast through one of the last remaining
cloud gaps.

Underneath the stratus we were met with a dark and gloomy autumn morning.
The south coast towns of Eastbourne and Hastings were clearly visible to the
north and east with Beachy Head to the west. Further inland, visibility was
compromised in mist and fog.

We tracked along the coast towards a faint and distant chink of morning
brightness. When we were past Hastings and approaching Lydd the sky began to
lighten and eventually the cockpit was again bathed with re-assuring morning
sunlight.

Our subsequent northbound track to Southend was interrupted by further
localised deterioration though luckily it improved before VMC was lost.

We arrived at Rayne with just 1hr 33 min on the engine clock. An impressive
transit time considering the diversion, the spiral downwards off of the
coast and the meandering course in Kent and the fact that the wind was
almost certainly against us for most of the journey.

The excursion was a success. Both of us were at our office desks by mid
morning. I really enjoyed the challenge and the scenery. The aircraft
performed well. I add this to my growing experience of cross country flying.

Once again I was reminded of the requirement for good judgement and planning
which is a pre-requisite in general aviation.

For my sins and impatience I endured a needlessly sleepless night and my
first ground spin. I witnessed further evidence of the fickle nature of
autumn weather both here in the UK and somewhat surprisingly on this
occasion, on the continent.

Hopefully, I am wiser for it.

Alan. D. Stewart

14 Goddard Way                                 'phone : +44 1245 264186
Chelmer Village                                work   : +44 1245 275104
Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6UR                      email  :
alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk

            office email :  alan.stewart@marconi.com