Corollary to Hot'nHigh

Subject: Corollary to Hot'nHigh
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:52:55
Cheers,
        I forgot to describe an example of engine failure on takeoff.
        In our squadron, newly re-equipped with DHC-3 Otter, we decided to
include some demonstration of engine failure and practice. Our mandate
occasionally called for maximum loads out of small northern and
unsophisticated strips - MedEvac, forest fire, lost groups, crash sites,
etc.
        A man for whom I had the greatest respect for his learning and
flying abilities (he never made the same mistake twice - a truly natural
'bird' man) was the Assistant Training Flight Commander. He went out and
practised engine failure on takeoff with the P&W R-1340 radial at height and
worked his way down toward airdrome alttitude. Then he accepted the first
trainee (who already had several thousand hours, but not on type).
        At 150 feet, he cut the engine and demonstrated the incredible
change in a/c pitch required to save the situation. Then he did same to
trainee but at 200 feet. The gear was driven into the forward fuel tank and
up through the wings. the students had not (in that split second) realised
the wild bunt required and the palne was destroyed without injury to either.
We dropped the practice, and showed the film for years after. From then on
we emphasized the importance of terrain flying to resolve early engine
failures on departure. That's why s.e. jet jockeys slide up to 300 knots
before pulling up on the early models.
        It's worth a bit of thought.
Regards,
Ferg