Electric Flaps on Monowheel

Subject: Electric Flaps on Monowheel
From: Edward Gladstone <TedGladstone@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 17:05:12
>Shaun Simpkins wrote:-
>
>Has anyone out there tried decoupling the flaps and gear on a monowheel<

We are the Edinburgh group who have fitted an electric scewjack actuator to
operate the flaps on our monowheel Europa.   Rowland is correct in that the
actuator was originally designed to operate the elevation mechanism on a
lounge chair or bed for the elderly.  It weighs about the same as the long
cranked linking tube and its associated couplings.  We also developed a
manual emergency method lowering the flaps, should the electric motor fail,
but Francis Donaldson (PFA Chief Engineer) did no share our enthusiasm for
it and we locked out this device.   Along with many other mods we have also
changed the lever that operates the undercarriage such that it rotates from
a horizontal position on the tunnel through 180 deg to end up again in the
horizontal position on the tunnel.   It allows us to fill up the cavity in
the instrument panel and is can now be operated with a single finger !
The electric flap motor also operates the outriggers in the normal manner
(for the time being)  but we have the intention to also operate the
outriggers with  small electric screw jack actuators.   When this is done
we will be able to operate the flaps to any angle but, with te existing
setup, we can go down to 30 deg and op to 23 deg without unlatching the
outriggers.    At the moment we have decided to abandon any further mods
and concentrate on getting it flying ( it's kit No 15!!!).   When its
flying we can amuse ourselves with our further mods and go faster fairings.

Ted & Justin
G-ZTED