Puncture on landing

Subject: Puncture on landing
From: David Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 21:39:42
We have all wondered about it, some of us have even been terified of it, but
today
we discovered that it is survivable.

Today at the Laddingford Fly-in, Jim Naylor suffered an instant tyre deflation
just as he touched down on the grass strip. He deserves an award for the
shortest
landing as well as one for the least number of bounces.

Jim said that as he touched down he instantly had the sensation of rapidly
stopping.
A quick check of the brake lever convinced him that it was a puncture, so
he made sure the stick was definitely fully back to protect the prop. He stopped
in a distance that was really not too disimilar to a perfectly handled landing
and managed to keep directional control as well. The net loss was one wrecked
tyre and tube and nothing else. Well done Jim.

Dave Watts G-BXDY.

P.S. The weather was pretty bad for the firsat half of the day but still
resulted
in a pretty good turnout which included Bob Harrison from Lincolnshire, Tony
Smyth from Suffolk, Jim from Warwickshire and Dave Bossomworth from Hampshire.
Saturday also saw David Lockett down from Inverness on his way through to
France.
A good day was had by all and we managed to get over 30 visiting public
airbourne for a pleasure flight. Well done all.