Re: Wing Filling

Subject: Re: Wing Filling
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 21:51:37
>Here's the trick.  Andy purchased a 55" long PermaGrit sanding block.
>By holding it parallel to the spar and moving it across the surface at a 45
>deg angle, you can easily achieve a smooth uniform finish.

IMHO a better plan is to use a slightly curved spline, this way you avoid
chordwise ripples in the surface. I used a slightly flexible spline which
easily bent to the slightight curve when held at roughly 30 degrees  to the
LE then did the 45 degree sanding.
Don't forget, it's chordwise ripples that spoil the laminar flow. Spanwise
ones only spoil the appearance so are less important, (to me anyway)

Graham