Orbit is to continue

Subject: Orbit is to continue
From: Thomas Scherer <europa81@web.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:44:50
Hello fellow Europans,

N81EU - a classic Trigear Europa with Rotax 912 engine is to continue <<
"Orbit"
- Flight around the world  >>.

Actually as we write I have put a big portion of the pacific ocean already
behind
the tailfeathers. N81EU is presently on Shemya, the last of the US-Aleutian
islands.

It was a long 700 nM flight in strong headwinds and most part IMC. Luckily
enough
I encountered 1300 ft broken ceiling over Shemya and was the first Aircraft
to land there after 4 weeks of sea fog - preventing even US-Airforce Hercules'es
to land.

---From here I am planning a much longer hop - a 20+hr flight to Hakodate on
Hokkaido,
Japan either today or tomorrow.

To this end, N81EU was fitted with 2 more aux tanks (besides the two fitted for
the Atlantic crossing last year) - the tanks donated by Europa Aviation (Thanks
Andy !). I also fitted an Airmaster VP prop which will help me to make
take-off's
at hot airfields (Such as Korea and China). A slight cruise improvement
also could be confirmed.

The cruise settings are as last year: 1oo kn cruise at 10 Litres/hr fuelflow.
Unfortunately
though - I am flying westbound with mostly headwinds making for those
loooong legs.

Please check my website for updates:

www.thomas.scherer.com

Sincerely - Happy landings !