wing construction

Subject: wing construction
From: Paul Stewart <pauld.stewart@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:53:31
Mike

You're not alone out there. We found exactly the same problem with the
root W18 plate such that we had to reposition the bolt holes (with
agreement from the factory). I seem to remember using 4mm plastic
packers to align the flap LE to wing closeout and leaving the TE to
worry about at a later date - indeed the TE seems to need a fair bit of
remodelling and filling at the finishing stage. We had to grind the
pushrod holes right back to the spar n a couple of cases - certainly the
push rod does gat very close. It is woth not going overboard with the
holes until you have got the bellcrank mounted and the root pivot in
place as it's almost impossible get the exact path the tube is going to
move through (it has a slight fore/aft swing because of the bellcrank)
until these are done. DO NOT as our version of the manual says bond in
the push rod pivot bolts (root) or you will be out with the hot air
blower and a lump hammer in the very near future.

What else can you expect. Apart from the foreign body left inside after
bonding on the top surface, we have just had a major problem requiring
return of the wing to the manufacturer. Firstly the spat on one of the
wings was set too far into the wing such that the spar pin bushes were
too close to the wing. Secondly the alloy plates set into the root rib
forward of the spar taking the front lift pin were set too proud of the
root rib and not parallel to the rib. As a result of all this when the
wing was rigged in the fuselage there was insufficient space to get the
forward lift pin socket between the fuselage side and the root rib.
Unfortunately I don't have easy access to tthe unaffected wing to
measure the correct bush to root rib distance but some kind soul out
there could if you wished to check it.

There have been many grumbles about quality control especially in the
wings. Having talked to the firm who are contracted out to make them,
they now have jigs to set up the spar bushes better but there may be
some rouge ones out there. Despite our irritation both the factory and
especially the wing makers were more than helpful in sorting the problem
out.

First time the flaps go up and down with the outriggers will make it all
worth while - goodness knows what seeing it fly must be like

Regards Paul Stewart #432